ABOUT SHUNPIKE AND THE STOREFRONTS PROGRAM
In 2010, an innovative consortium of city and neighborhood organizations inaugurated the Storefronts program in Seattle’s Pioneer Square and International District neighborhoods. The initiative sought to address high vacancy rates in these neighborhoods by activating empty storefronts with vibrant local art and creative projects.
Now a core program of Shunpike, Storefronts continues to support our creative community and our urban neighborhoods and businesses by providing opportunities for artists to do what they do best – create dynamic, engaging works that reach out to passersby, activate our built environment, and function as an incubator for entrepreneurial projects and urban revitalization.
Storefronts is a project of Shunpike and is has received support from the following community and funding partners since 2010:
- The Alliance for Pioneer Square
- City of Seattle’s Department of Planning and Development
- City of Seattle’s Office of Arts & Culture
- City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods
- Chinatown-International District Business Developoment Area
- Seattle Chinatown-International District Preservation and Development Authority
- The Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce
- Vulcan, Inc.
- The Historic South Downtown, Community Development, and Preservation Authority Foundation
- Sound Transit
- The Broadway Business Improvement Association
- SouthEast Effective Development
- The Belltown Business Assocation
- The City of Seattle Department of Transportation
- Waterfront Seattle
- Stream Real Estate
- Snoqualmie Tribe Fund